Have you started to regain weight after initial success from weight loss surgery? Have you lost your restriction? Wesley Woodlawn Bariatric Surgery Center specializes in safe, effective and incisionless endoscopic procedures that are minimally invasive and provide numerous benefits over traditional surgical procedures.
Endoscopic Pouch or Outlet Repair
The procedure is performed using a small, flexible endoscope and specialized devices that allows sutures to be placed through the endoscope. The scope and suturing devices are inserted through the mouth into the stomach pouch. If the pouch or the stoma has been stretched, sutures can be placed to reduce the pouch size and opening, typically from the size of a silver dollar to the size of a dime. The result is a retightened structure that prompts renewed feelings of satiety to curb food intake.
- Suitable for people who have regained weight or failed to lose significant weight following gastric bypass surgery
- Requires overnight fast prior to surgery but no bowel preparation
- Minimal risk of complication, less pain, faster recovery and no abdominal scarring.
- Patients are back to their normal routine within 48 hours
- Requires highly restricted diet for one month following surgery along with continued lifestyle modification (diet and exercise)
Gastric Fistula Repair
The procedure is performed using a small, flexible endoscope and specialize devices that allows sutures to be placed through the endoscope. The scope and suturing devices are inserted through the mouth into the stomach pouch to repair the tissue.
- There are no cuts outside of the body and it is virtually painless
- Procedure can restore feelings of fullness to promote weight loss
- Does not require antibiotics
- Patients are back to work in 2-3 days
After a procedure
Patients receive a consultation with a dietitian prior to surgery as well as follow-up counseling after the procedure. The patient is re-educated about the type of diet that should be followed post-surgery to avoid complications, facilitate weight loss and maintain long-term weight loss. A follow-up appointment with the surgeon is scheduled for a month after a procedure.
Patients experience less pain, recover faster and have no abdominal scarring with endoscopic suturing. Patients typically go home the same day, but individual results will vary. Each patient’s discharge will vary based on the physician’s recommendations. Patients are encouraged to visit with our dietician, nurse navigator and attend support group meetings.
To learn more about endoscopic surgery, please contact our program coordinator, Amanda Page, RN at (316) 858-8921.